Knee Pain Treatments and Relief
The knees endure a lifetime of stress supporting the rest of the body, and injury to this joint can be absolutely debilitating. The knee is a complex joint involving many supporting structures, any of which may be injured in the course of life’s experiences.
Tendons and ligaments are especially sensitive to injury, as they are poorly vascularized and take a long time to heal. Many cases of injury to these structures will require surgery to repair. In less severe cases, conservative options may prove satisfactory, and rest, ice, and gently resuming normal use may be all that is necessary. In the meantime, NSAIDs such as ibuprofen are a great option for reducing pain and inflammation during the healing process. In chronic cases, more significant injury is likely, and consulting a pain specialist may be your best bet for achieving rapid relief.
The joint of the knee occurs at the junction of the femur, tibia, and fibula, and is supported by a host of ligaments, muscles, and capped by a protective bone called the patella, colloquially known as the kneecap.
Damage can occur to any of the supporting muscles and ligaments, or even to the bones themselves, resulting in pain that may become chronic if the damage is not appropriately addressed. Below is a visualization of these structures, and may be helpful in isolating the area your pain may be originating from.
Working with a doctor of pain management, the root cause of your pain can be determined, and measures can then be taken to resolve it. Laboratory diagnostics such as x-ray, ultrasound, and MRI may be performed to support your diagnosis, and then tailored treatments can be employed to facilitate recovery. Such treatments may involve injections such as hydrocortisone to provide long-term relief of pain and inflammation, as well as physical therapy, but more severe cases will require surgical repair.
Consider reaching out to the pain specialists at Premier Pain and Spine for a comprehensive pain management plan that suits your individual needs.
Request an Appointment today or give us a call at (847) 519-4701
Premier Pain & Spine Doctors Notes to Knee Pain Causes, Diagnosis & Treatment:
- Knee pain can be caused by osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis or injury.
- Some common knee pain treatment options include:
- Physical Therapy
- Steroid injections
- Gel injections
- Regenerative treatments like PRP or stem cell recruitment
- Knee pain diagnosis depends on symptoms, physical exam and imaging findings.
- The experts at Premier Pain & Spine can perform a full knee exam and determine next steps such as ordering MRI, PT or injections.
- Treatment depends on the exact cause and diagnosis of the knee pain.
- All knee pain procedures are performed under live X-Ray guidance to pinpoint placement of medication in the joint.
An Individualized Treatment Approach by Premier Pain & Spine:
- Fellowship trained physicians specialized in interventional pain management and holistic approach.
- Compassionate, convenient and evidence based care.
- Interventional pain management uses minimally invasive techniques to treat pain and improve function and wellness.
- Holistic approach to treating pain, focused on non-opioid treatments.
- Customized treatment plans specific to an individual’s needs.
- Physicians specialize in spine and joint care.
- Our team is able to perform a full musculoskeletal and neurologic exam to determine the best treatment option and plan.