Joint Pain Symptoms and Relief
Stiff and painful joints are a common experience among aging individuals, and get in the way of everyday life. Patients often find that simple tasks can become exceptionally difficult to perform, and seem to only get harder with time. Fortunately, many options exist for the treatment and management of joint dysfunction to help get back to the things you love. Working with a pain management specialist is the surest way to finding a comprehensive pain management plan tailored to your unique needs.
The early signs of joint degeneration can be subtle, and sometimes evade detection until advanced stages of disease. An experienced physician can pick up on telltale signs and help slow the process before it becomes a significant burden. Magnetic Resonance Imaging or MRI is one modality that is especially sensitive for the detection of osteoarthritis, for example.
Following diagnosis, there are a number of therapies to discuss with your doctor depending on the severity of disease.
Some such joint pain therapies include:
- Physical Therapy is great to employ early in disease progression to learn better biomechanical movements that put less stress on your joints.
- Compression Therapy, like compression gloves or socks, can reduce the swelling associated with joint degeneration and reduce pain.
- NSAIDs, such as ibuprofen or aspirin, help to reduce inflammation and pain by blocking the body’s production of inflammatory molecules called prostaglandins.
- Topical Agents, such as creams including capsaicin, can reduce pain and swelling and are often available over the counter. Such treatments can provide excellent relief for mild to moderate disease.
- Injections, usually corticosteroids, can provide long lasting relief from joint pain with injections only once every few months.
- Surgical Intervention is usually the final option when conservative treatments are inadequate for relief. A great number of surgical procedures exist to meet a broad range of desirable patient outcomes.
Dealing with joint pain can be a tiresome and frustrating experience, but it doesn’t have to be. Seeking medical advice early can prevent progression to advanced disease, and even severe cases can be managed with a high degree of patient satisfaction. Ultimately, helping patients to regain functionality and enjoy a normal lifestyle with relief of pain is the goal of any doctor of pain management.
Contact us at Premier Pain & Spine for minimally invasive pain specialists with four locations in Chicago, IL.
Request an Appointment today or give us a call at (847) 519-4701
An Individualized Treatment Approach by Premier Pain & Spine:
- Fellowship trained physicians specialized in interventional pain management and holistic approach.
- Compassionate, convenient and evidence based care.
- Interventional pain management uses minimally invasive techniques to treat pain and improve function and wellness.
- Holistic approach to treating pain, focused on non-opioid treatments.
- Customized treatment plans specific to an individual’s needs.
- Physicians specialize in spine and joint care.
- Our team is able to perform a full musculoskeletal and neurologic exam to determine the best treatment option and plan.