Back Pain Treatments and Relief
Back pain occurring between the base of the neck and the bottom of the rib cage can be a result of muscular overuse and/or injury, chronic poor posture, osteoarthritis, or spinal cord injury. This area of the back is known as the thoracic spine and it is remarkably sturdy compared to the rest of the spinal cord. Each vertebrae in the thoracic spine is connected to a rib forming the ribcage. This renders them relatively immobile compared to the rest of the vertebrae. Due to this anatomical feature, back pain in this area rarely needs surgical intervention and relief of pain can be achieved through a variety of back pain treatments.
Treatments for upper back pain depend on the origin of the pain. Different back pain specialists such as a doctor of pain management can help you in finding a treatment regime best suited for your situation.
Back pain treatments include but are not limited to:
- Myofascial release therapy to loosen and relax stiff or problematic muscle groups
- Cold therapies to reduce inflammation and for acute pain
- Heat therapies for increased circulation and relaxation of stiff muscles
- Physical therapy to increase the flexibility and strength of muscle groups in the thoracic region
- Various surgical procedures such as vertebral augmentation and spinal decompression surgery
- Thoracic spinal injection of steroids for pinched nerves and herniated discs
- Prescription pain medication as prescribed by a licensed prescriber
- Alternative treatments such as electrotherapy, acupuncture, cognitive behavioral therapy, yoga, and meditation
Relief of pain in the upper back can typically be achieved through one or multiple of these back pain treatments. Due to the stability of the thoracic spine, pain in the upper back is oftentimes very manageable. Narrowing down the cause is key to effective pain management. A back pain specialist or pain clinic can be crucial in pinpointing the cause of your pain and prescribing a treatment regime for a swift recovery.
Those suffering from chronic pain should always consult a licensed doctor or pain management specialist for individualized and comprehensive pain management. Premier Pain & Spine offers experienced minimally invasive treatments by pain specialists with four locations in Chicago, IL.
An Individualized Treatment Approach by Premier Pain & Spine:
- Fellowship trained physicians specialized in interventional pain management and holistic approach.
- Compassionate, convenient and evidence based care.
- Interventional pain management uses minimally invasive techniques to treat pain and improve function and wellness.
- Holistic approach to treating pain, focused on non-opioid treatments.
- Customized treatment plans specific to an individual’s needs.
- Physicians specialize in spine and joint care.
- Our team is able to perform a full musculoskeletal and neurologic exam to determine the best treatment option and plan.