Almost every one of us has experienced abdominal pain at some point in our lifetime. Most cases of abdominal pain regress after a certain period of time and are not considered as serious. However, sometimes abdominal pain tends to persist over long periods of time and may signal towards a serious underlying health condition.
Under such circumstances, you may seek the help of pain management clinics to overcome persisting abdominal pain.
Pain management clinics like pain management clinics at Chicago are health care facilities that focus on the diagnosis and treatment of chronic pain.
How does a pain management clinic work?
Reputable pain management clinics like use a multidisciplinary approach to aid people in managing pain and return back to a normal life. These clinics comprise of an efficient team of doctors specializing in pain management, psychologists, nurses, physiotherapists and other paramedical staffs like chiropractors and acupuncturists who help patients overcome a painful condition. The staffs at pain management centers are trained to address your abdominal pain problems by following a set of regulated procedures.
The first step: Prediction of a cause
The experts at the pain management clinic will first attempt to understand the reason behind your abdominal pain.
The following are the most common causes of abdominal pain:
• Stomach infections
• Food poisoning
• Allergy to certain food items
• Irritable bowel syndrome
• Menstrual cramps in women
• Urinary tract infection
• Digestion problems
• Lactose intolerance
• Urinary tract infections
• Kidney diseases like formation of kidney stones
• Inflammation of the appendix (appendicitis)
• Crohn’s diesease
• Ulcers of the gastrointestinal tract
To pinpoint the cause of abdominal pain in your case, the pain management clinic will direct you to be screened for a number of medical tests and subject you to a thorough physical examination. Your case history will also be discussed in detail with the specialized clinician in the pain management clinic. The medical tests to be performed may include stool and urine tests, blood tests, abdominal endoscopy, X-ray or ultrasonography, CT scan or barium swallow tests.
The third step: Addressing the cause
After the pain management clinic successfully detects the underlying cause of your abdominal pain the clinic will adopt a treatment strategy that will help you overcome the pain. The treat
• Use of medications: Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs,
corticosteroids, opioid pain medications may be administered to you for short-term recovery from abdominal pain. Antibiotics may be administered if the cause of abdominal pain is due to a bacterial infection.
• Advice on change in lifestyle: If the source of your abdominal pain is due to the inclusion of some allergic foods or beverages in your diet, then the experts at pain management clinics will advice you to undergo a change in your diet excluding the food or beverage items that cause painful abdominal symptoms.
• Surgery: If the cause of your abdominal pain is due to conditions like hernia or appendicitis, then there will be no choice left but to perform surgery.
If you are currently suffering from chronic abdominal pain, search for a reputable pain management clinic in your area. For example, if you live in Chicago, search for pain management clinics in Chicago on the internet to find the address of clinics in Chicago.