Pain is an unpleasant feeling which is associated with tissue damage. Pain management is basically a discipline in relation to pain relief and it requires proper assessment of the causes of pain. With the assessment and the description of the cause of pain, relevant doctors prescribe pain treatments or pain medicines for the patient. Pain management, which is carried out with the use of medications is called pain medication management. Pain management in Chicago is very good at providing the best help in the form of pain medications for relieving all sorts of pains.
Types of Pains
There are basically three types of pain and they are acute pains, chronic pains and breakthrough pains. Acute pains need to be investigated and their cause needs to be eliminated. Chronic pains cannot be diagnosed very easily and treating such pains needs a long time. Breakthrough pains are pains that start and end quite suddenly. There are even clinical and physiological pains which are caused due to the ineffective work procedure of the nervous system.
Pain management can easily be done by almost all sorts of doctors and medical practitioners. The Pain Centers in Chicago is highly advanced at providing the best pain medication management. However, it is to be noted that there are some specific techniques and skills required for managing pain and they are:
- Medication Management
- Interventional Procedures
- Psychological Counseling and Support
- Chiropractic Therapy or Physical Therapy
What do Pain centers do?
Pain centers generally differ in their offerings and their focus. Most pain centers involve a group of professional and experienced health care providers having the capacity of using various strategies for managing pain. The team generally includes doctors from different specialties along with non-physician providers experienced in the diagnosis and the management of pain. The providers include physical therapists, alternative and complementary therapists like massage therapists and acupuncturists and psychologists.
Pain relief with the Use of Medications
At Chicago pain center, your therapy plans are tailored according to your preferences, needs and circumstances. However, pain medication management is something that is carried out on a very wide and common scale. The medicines used in managing pain include non-aspirin pain relievers, corticosteroids, nonsteroidal pain relievers, antidepressants and opioid pain medications.
- Non-Aspirin Pain Relievers: Non-aspiring pain relievers are drugs like acetaminophen which help in relieving minor pain. These drugs are also used in combination with other drugs for providing better pain relief.
- Corticosteroids: These drugs are available only by prescriptions. These are cortisone-like drugs used for managing severe inflammatory pain.
- Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs or NSAIDs: These drugs are available either through prescriptions or over the counter. Such drugs include naproxen and ibuprofen used for treating inflammation and pain.
- Antidepressants: These drugs generally treat depression, but they can also be used as an effective remedy for relieving various types of chronic and acute pains. They are also good at promoting sleep.
- Opioid Pain Medications: These are morphine-like medicines prescribed for short-term cancer pain and acute pain. They are also prescribed by doctors for non-cancer and chronic pain.